1. Is the agent a REALTOR® and if so, can he/she tell you their duty to the public? Not all agents are the same. REALTOR® is a trademarked name and means an agent is a member of the National Association of Realtors and is responsible for upholding its Code of Ethics. REALTORS® are a member of National, State, local associations. The DLLR requires all licensed agents to have 15 hours continuing education every 2 years.
2. Does the agent have a 2nd job? Does he/she conduct a minimum of 30 transactions a year and have a least 10 years of experience? There are approximately 40,000 licensed agents in Md., the majority whom are part time. Nationwide, the median number of transactions among residential REALTORS® is 11. Many more or too few transactions can be problem in regards to attention to detail or lack of experience.
3. What is the agent’s marketing plan and standard policy of client care? Setting mutual expectations is important in a client/agent relationship. This includes understanding the current inventory to let you know how long you should expect to be on market, explanation of each step in the selling process, and your preferred method for relaying information and obtaining signatures. A comprehensive home valuation includes a RPR report and RVM report. Basic listing tools are an electronic lockbox, showing service, reflective yard sign, professional photography, advertising and hosting an open house. Advanced advertising includes dozens of on line platforms, property website, video ad, virtual tour, smart sign technology and paid social media advertising.
4. Who will answer my calls, keep me posted with feedback from showings, market my house, and help me with the transaction process? There are several options for this questions. The agent may do everything himself, the agent may be on a small team, or the agent could be on a large team. Each has its benefits and challenges. The optimal scenario is to hire a hands REALTOR® who partners with another REALTOR®. In this partnership, you can expect to have your questions and concerns addressed promptly by a knowledgeable professional who is focused on your transaction.
5. Does the agent offer assistance in arranging professionals who can help repair, paint, and landscape if needed? Personal experience with contractors for general work makes repairs stress free.
6. Are there reviews from past clients that can be shared with you and contact information to verify?